Thursday, January 21, 2010

Scarf for Automobile Bonnet ~ Free Crochet Pattern


I'm still on my final work through of the Vintage Automobile Bonnet Pattern, but today I want to talk about the scarf. I have decided not to transcribe the scarf from the original pattern, but to give you a pattern of my own instead. This is a scarf I designed 4 or 5 years ago and I think it's a perfect match for this project. It's lightweight, it's an open weave and the best part is that it's super quick and easy to make. It's so easy in fact, that I just can't bring myself to sell the design, I have to give it away!





Jenn's Quick & Easy Open Weave Scarf


This pattern will work with any style yarn and any size hook. It is shown here using Patons Nuance and a size H hook.

Chain 13
Row 1: sc in 2nd ch from hook and across. (12 sc)
Row 2: ch 5 turn, skip 1st 3 sts, sc in next st, ch 5, skip next 3 sts, sc in next st, ch 5, skip next 3 sts, sc in last st. (will create 3 ch 5 loops)
Rows 3-desired length: ch 5 turn, sc in 1st loop, ch 5, sc in 2nd loop, ch 5, sc in 3rd(last) loop
Last Row: ch 1 turn, sc in 1st sc, 3 sc in 1st loop, sc in 2nd sc, 3 sc in 2nd loop, sc in 3rd sc, 3 sc in 3rd(last) loop. Finish off and weave in ends.

Recommendations:
*Teachers ~ This is a great scarf for beginners both young and grown. If you are teaching a crochet class, students love this scarf. It's a project they can work through in less time and feel that great sense of accomplishment!
*Gift Giving ~ If you like to crochet for charity or to give as gifts, this is a pretty scarf that makes up fast. The scarf pictured above is 1.5 yards and was created in 30 minutes.
*Go Crazy! ~ This is the perfect pattern for those novelty yarns! The open weave really showcases eyelash, thick and thin, beaded, coiled, lumpy, bumpy, you name it!
*Expand ~ To make this scarf wider, make your beginning chain in multiples of 4 + 1. For example, to double the width, ch 25. Remember that Row 1 starts by sc in second ch from hook. That's why the + 1.

23 comments:

k said...

I love this pattern! I have made 3 with 3 different kinds of yarns and I love how differently they all turned out. Thank you so much.

Jenn said...

That's so fun to hear. Try it with an eyelash fiber. They're cool! Thank you for your kind comment!

Tina said...

Thanks so much! I had a friend ask me to make her daughter a scarf and I couldn't fine one that I really loved until I ran into this. Affordable to make since it doesn't use much yarn and I am working through it like lightning. I think I am going to make one out of Homespun for myself next.

Jenn said...

I'm so glad you like the pattern. It's nice with textured yarns too. Sometimes a quick and easy project is a nice break. :D

Anonymous said...

OMG! I am so excited to make this! It is exactly what I was looking for to make the teen girls at my church!! Thank you so much! You could charge for this pattern, it is so wonderful!!!!!!

Teresa from NC

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the pattern! Very quick and easy. I did it in plain black, and it came out very elegant looking. I think I might sew a crocheted flower to the end for a little pop of color. Thanks!

Eileen said...

This is just what I was looking for! I am making this for my 16 yr old niece and didn't want something "old" looking. This will be perfect for her. Thank you so much for sharing :)

Ever said...

Thank you for posting this pattern! I am making a bunch of these for work Christmas this year. They work up so well and quick and look great with any yarn! Happy Holidays.

Anonymous said...

I just finished the scarf in no time. I crochet for charity and this works up nicely.

Anonymous said...

I love this but i am making a scarf for my moms friend and she wants a plain single crochet scarf i think i will make me a scarf with this pattern next

Ellie said...

I love this pattern! Thanks so much. It's quick and easy but looks great!

Anonymous said...

i have made 6 of these, my 11yr old niece even made one. thanks for a great pattern.

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for the pattern. I made this with a multicolor yarn & it looks so beautiful. A very nice scarf to give as a gift.

Anonymous said...

I just finished this scarf in record time. I haven't crocheted in years and wanted to make a skinny scarf that doubles and goes around the neck - the ones that are so popular now. This pattern is perfect for it! The open weave look makes it easy to wear. I used Caron's simply soft and it came out gorgeous.
Thanks for the great pattern!

J

Jenn said...

I'm so happy that people are enjoying this pattern!

Anonymous said...

I just finished this scarf in Vanna's glamour in topaz with a size J hook and it's gorgeous. It looks so rich and elegant! It turned out very lacy looking and I'm so thrilled with it! It's the fourth scarf I've made since I discovered this pattern last week! I've made it with 4 different types of yarn and each time it turns out great and looks entirely different. It's such a versatile pattern! Thank you so much for this great scarf!!

JRD

Anonymous said...

Can someone please tell me the width of the scarf pattern? I'd like to know before i consider doubling the pattern.

Jenn said...

Hi, The one pictured here is right about 3.5 inches. They can really vary in width depending on the yarn you choose. I have one made from fine brushed mohair that measures 2.5" and another where I've carried a worsted weight with a novelty yarn which measures 5.5". Of course none of these are particularly wide, so if it's a wider scarf you like, then doubling it would be a great idea. ~ Jenn

Mel said...

This looks great! Any guidance on how much yarn to have available?

Jenn said...

If I'm remembering right, I could make one whole hat (not including the scarf) with 1 skein of Patons Classic Wool which is 210 yards.

Unknown said...

Thanks for this pattern, Jenn. I have several smaller skeins of yarn that needed a really open weave for me to be able to complete an entire project with each of them. This did the trick, and everyone loves the outcome! I appreciate your work and your willingness to share with us!

Shannon

Anonymous said...

I love this pattern. I have made a really long scarf super quick for my nans, and now my aunts want one too :D
Ember xo

Unknown said...

This pattern is great! I don't even need my reading glasses to work on it--you can make this by feel.